Wiz Quiz - Caribbean
1) When the Spanish arrived in the Caribbean at the end of the fifteenth century, a number of islands were already inhabited by people from one of the following: Britain, the American mainland, the Netherlands.
2) Amerindian people called this island Malliouhana, the sea serpent, because of its long, thin shape. What is the name of the island? Anguilla, Cuba, Barbados.
3) Many African people were brought to the Caribbean to work as slaves on plantations. Britain passed the Emancipation Act which abolished slavery throughout the British Empire. In which year was the Act passed? 1784, 1833, 1860.
4) Breadfruit was introduced to the Caribbean in 1793. Which captain was forced off HMS Bounty by mutineers on his first voyage to collect breadfruit in the South Pacific? Captain Bligh, Captain Cook, Captain Powell.
5) Which island is known as the Emerald Isle of the Caribbean (referring to its Irish settlers)? St Kitts and Nevis, Guadeloupe, Montserrat.
6) Where did Admiral Horatio Nelson establish an important British naval base in 1784? Antigua, British Virgin Islands, St Vincent and the Grenadines.
7) Which country became a Republic in 1804 following a slave uprising in the 1790s? Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica.
8) Who formed the Cuban Revolutionary Party in 1892 and rode to his death in the first battle with the Spanish in 1895? Ernesto Guevara, Tomas Estrada Palma, Jose Marti.
9) Which Caribbean country did General Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina control from 1930 until his assassination in 1961? Puerto Rico, Netherlands Antilles, Dominican Republic.
10) Gros Piton and Petit Piton, near the town of Soufriere, are part of a World Heritage site. Where would you find these famous twin volcanic peaks? Montserrat, Trinidad and Tobago, St Lucia.
11) Where is the only tropical rainforest in the US National Parks service? United States Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Aruba.
12) The Colonial city of Santo Domingo, built by the Spanish at the end of the fifteenth century, is a World Heritage site. Where is Santo Domingo? Puerto Rico, The Bahamas, Dominican Republic.
13) Music known as beguine was immortalized by Cole Porter in his song Begin the Beguine, written after visiting this island in the 1930s. Where did Cole Porter hear beguine? Grenada, Dominica, Martinique.
14) Which Caribbean island publishes a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper? British Virgin Islands, United States Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands.
15) Countries on the American mainland also have histories of colonization by Europeans. One country in Central America and another in South America are members of the Commonwealth, an association of countries which have links with the United Kingdom. Which of the following countries is NOT a member of the Commonwealth. Belize, Honduras, Guyana.
Click here for the answers
WIZ Quiz content from World InfoZone educational website.