VISIT THE MEMORIES OF TWICKENHAM RIVERSIDE WEBSITE
The Memories of Twickenham Riverside project will concentrate on five sites that underline the leisure, industrial and historical aspects of Twickenham town’s close association with the river.
Richmond House, built in the early nineteenth century, was considered as a Town Hall for Twickenham in 1922 but York House was eventually preferred. Richmond House was demolished and part of the site was used for an open air swimming pool.
THE FORMER TWICKENHAM RIVERSIDE OPEN AIR SWIMMING POOL
The swimming pool was open in 1935 and closed 1981. Since then the future of the site has been hotly debated.
Queen's Hall, opened in 1881, was a venue for plays, concerts and community events. During World War II, from June 1942, dances held in the hall were attended by US forces from Camp Griffiss in nearby Bushy Park. The 8th Air Force
was stationed in the Park until January 1944. Bushy Park became the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force centre for planning the Allied invasion of north-west Europe. After the War Queen's Hall was used by a dancing school and then became home to the Bu'sen Martial Arts and Fitness Centre.
CHARLIE SHORE'S BOAT HOUSE
Video clips, produced by students of Richmond upon Thames College, of a recreation of the historic Charlie Shore Regatta
can be seen on YouTube. Photographs of the early regattas are available courtesy of London Borough of Richmond upon Thames Local Studies Collection.
HISTORIC TWICKENHAM ROWING CLUB on EEL PIE ISLAND
A World InfoZone Feature gives an overview of Eel Pie Island including interviews with some of the people who live and work on the island. There is also information about the music legends who played at the famous Eel Pie Island Hotel.
A map of the area can be found on the Memories of Twickenham Riverside Project page.
The Twickenham Museum website
IF YOU WISH TO GET INVOLVED
in the project visit the Memories of Twickenham Riverside website for contact details by clicking on the logo: